penelope and bumblebee

Good grammar costs nothing.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Blog is the New Black

First of all, my apologies to the tens of you who must have already used that titlage. It can’t possibly be original. But if it is, then hey, I should be pretty good at this thing.

So, do we really need another blogger mucking up the cyber-waves? Probably not. But, as my very good friend, and fellow blog-mama put it, I need words to work stuff out. I kept journals in my early teens, and then I discovered weed. Now I'm back to journaling, and this (I'm learning), is how it's done in 2006. One day I hope to rediscover weed, in the same way that I one day hope to rediscover my pre-baby body. Might just be a sweet memory.

So, who the heck's blog are you reading anyway?

I'll call myself Penelope, because that's what my husband calls me. I'm not sure what I'll call him yet. It won't be DH, because most of the chatroom vernacular and acronyms make me kind of want to puke. Don't get me wrong, he's great, he's sweet, he's selfless (more often than not), he's a hot number and I love him. But Darling? Doesn't do it. He'd be the first to agree. So, I have a man, and I have a kid. I'll call her Bumblebee, because that's what she looked like in utero (at least to us). Sometimes I think Crazy Muffin or Your Majesty or Heir Dictator (benevolent, of course) would be more apt. Bumblebee is 13 months old. She is wicked cool, funny as all get-out, so smart that it is scary, the cutest thing on wheels, and truly a super-good, super-mellow baby. A way better baby than I deserve. I could go on and on about my bumblebee. And I will, later. This is often going to be a forum to work out my feelings about being a mom, a good mom, come what may. But I don't really want to be defined solely as being a mom. I'm also a wife, a writer (by trade, even – very lucky me), a sister, a daughter, a friend, and a mouthy environmentally friendly-capitalist-lactivist-peacenik-exdeadhead.

A little bit about me:
• I have a tendency to ramble. I will try to control that for your sake.
• I am a word-nerd. Self confessed.
• I have a big family. You'll no doubt read more about that later.
• I have a big nose. You'll no doubt read more about that later.
• I have a soapbox and I know how to use it, but that is something that I'm also trying to control.
• I secretly love 'lord of the dance'
• After this first post, capital letters, other than the ones that word automatically inserts, might go the way of the dodo. Bear with me on this one. It's sheer laziness.
• I love hockey. Darcy Tucker is an object of my desire.

I'm still exploring who I am as a mom, but so far I know a few things:
• I am more 'Mothering' than 'Parents'
• I am more Big Carrot than Big Mac (understatement)
• If you like Ferber, than you won't like me
• Bumblebee was born in our bed, where she still sleeps
• I did go back to work and don't think that it impedes raising a whole family or practising attachment parenting
• Being a mom came really naturally, and for that I am thankful. I hope I can continue to say that as my bumblebee and our family grows.
• The best thing I can do as a mom is to trust myself

What else can I say that you might care about? I guess just that I hope that I am able to discover some things that I might not have known (or been able to see) through this blog. I hope I can make y'all smile every now and then.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:55 AM, Blogger metro mama said…

    Hooray! What a wonderful addition to my morning reading.

    Way to go. Starting is the hardest part.

     
  • At 9:31 AM, Blogger Village Mama said…

    I knew you'd come around sooner or later!

    I love it and I'm looking forward to many, many more posts!!

     
  • At 9:44 AM, Blogger knitrovert said…

    Oh Karen, good for coffee reading for sure. you'll have to see my blog, it's not as detailed as yours...

     
  • At 11:44 PM, Blogger lisalou said…

    Yeah, for blogs!
    We can visit each other on the www.
    How very civilized.
    Love ya
    Lisa

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape