penelope and bumblebee

Good grammar costs nothing.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Off We Go

It's been a pretty crazy week at casa penelope; besides chasing politicians off my property and figuring out what the heck to do for chris' birthday yesterday, i've also been preparing the fam for our vacation, which starts when the car arrives at 3:30 tomorrow morning. yikes.

don't feel too bad for us; once we get some coffee into us (maybe just some boob into bee), we'll be on our way to sunny florida for american thanksgiving with my american family. hooray!

this will be the first time since my dad moved back to the states almost two years ago that all of my siblings will be there at the same time. So, besides seeing my family, here are the top 5 reasons I can’t wait to shlep all the crap that you need when travelling with a toddler and get on that plane.

1. can you say ‘sleep’? with a gramps (he’s called Big Guy – my neice named him when she was about 2), two aunts, an uncle and an 8-year old cousin right down the hall to entertaintain my daugher at 7am, I’m going back to bed.

2. sun.shine. it’s 29 degree where my dad lives today. It’s 6 degrees where I live. Enjoy the rain, chumps.

3. ross. cheap, dirty and supremely satisfiying (like me!). this messier sister of winners nets the greatest steals in the history of bargain shopping. Last year I got bee and my neice similar ralph lauren tennis dresses for about the price of a grande latte in the t-dot. (ok, I exaggerate. A latte and a biscotti.)

4. the brevard zoo. This quaint destination is just the right size for bee (about a fifth of the size of the toronto zoo), has a giraffe-feeding area, and so far holds her interest so completely that we don’t even have to give going to one of the pricier, more commercial, more obnoxious, more mouse-filled attractions that the area is known for even a flicker of consideration. at least for a couple of more years.

5. southern hospitality. Say what you want about the US (and I often do), the folks where my dad lives are NICE. And they always tell me how cute my kid is, so I like them even more. I can almost overlook the fact that they all voted for george w and sport bumper stickers that say things like ‘god, guts and guns made america.’ (shudder)


so, while I’ll be thinking about y’all (see? It’s like I’m already there) while we’re gone, I probably won’t be checking in. I think you can guess why: dial up. Yep. Me and the internet are going on a break for the next 9 days or so. I might manage to sneak in the odd midnight session, so leave the window open for me just in case. If not, have fun, stay warm and we’ll build a sandcastle for you.

16 Comments:

  • At 11:46 AM, Blogger metro mama said…

    Enjoy! I'm jealous

    Tell Chris Happy Birthday from us.

     
  • At 12:16 PM, Blogger Sandra said…

    Happy birthday to Chris. I hope you have a FABULOUS sunshiney vacation. Looking forward to hearing allll about it :)

     
  • At 12:46 PM, Blogger ms blue said…

    Birthday wishes to Chris!

    Sleep, eat and be merry! Enjoy your time away. I love when the whole family reunites. It always makes for some interesting stories.

     
  • At 1:49 PM, Blogger Mad said…

    Have fun!!!

     
  • At 5:29 PM, Blogger Run ANC said…

    Have a great time - I am sooo jealous! Not sure if I'm jealous of the sun or the sleep..

    Thanks for the offer with the eye drops, btw. The doctor prescribed a cream that we have to apply to the inner eye with a q-tip. Ol' Shaky Hands is having fun with that one!

     
  • At 7:33 PM, Blogger cinnamon gurl said…

    Have fun and bring back some sand for us... well I guess that might clog of the internet, so how about pictures of bee on the sand?

     
  • At 9:50 PM, Blogger moplans said…

    soooo jealous
    I've never heard of Ross. I will be looking into that.

     
  • At 11:04 PM, Blogger sc@vp said…

    god, guts and guns made america?!

    LMAO

     
  • At 11:15 PM, Blogger crazymumma said…

    Sandcastles!!!oh can I be your baggage handler! Have fun. My dad lived in Florida for like ever...it has a weird attraction.

     
  • At 1:47 AM, Blogger Girlplustwo said…

    ah woman...enjoy the sun, enjoy the fam..enjoy the ride.

    if you need bail money, call me.

     
  • At 11:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Have fun!! Warm is good. Sun is better.

    In New York there is a store called Syms. DOn't know if they are in Florida (although there is always TJ Maxx)...same idea.

    Happy shopping!

     
  • At 12:16 AM, Blogger petite gourmand said…

    y'all have fun...

    sounds like a good time,
    looking forward to hearing all about it when you get back.

     
  • At 2:01 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Enjoy!

     
  • At 10:29 AM, Blogger ewe are here said…

    I love Ross stores; always did quite well in them.

    And in my countrymen's defense, I and half the country did NOT vote for George W. Either time. Shudder.

    Hope you have a great trip! And get lots of extra sleep, you lucky thing.

     
  • At 10:46 PM, Blogger Urban Daddy said…

    If we didn't have such a newborn, we'd probably be in our car as we speak driving to New York for Thanksgiving, to be with the wife's family. Difference between your trip and what would have been ours, is about 28 degrees. LOL.

    Don't forget to put on sunscreen... that everythis is kosher in the US, and that Cookie Crisp (not sold in Canada) comes in three flavours; Chocolate Chip, Peanut Butter and Double Chocolate. It's made from whole grains. yum.

    Enjoy your trip.

    Cheers,

     
  • At 1:12 AM, Blogger Debbie said…

    have a wonderful time! and a safe trip.

    (and will you share some of that sleep-stuff when you get back?)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape