penelope and bumblebee

Good grammar costs nothing.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The Wednesday Shuffle (1998 – Living in Israel Edition)

My best friend is moving into her new house this weekend (hooray!), but packing up all the shit in her mom’s basement for the last time has proven emotional.

She has uncovered relics of our (sometimes sordid) past that sent me on a bit of a roadtrip down memory lane as well.

Even more than smells, music transports me to moments past. Here are 10 of my favourite moments:

1. Remember Me – Blueboy (crowd pleaser at our pub, The Pundak)

2. Bittersweet Symphony – The Verve (brought from home; noone in Israel knew them yet)

3. Body Movin’ – Beastie Boys (sent hot off the presses from my bro – Israel would not get the import for another 6 months, making my CD a hoooooot commodity)

4. Barbie Girl – Aqua (the exploited Thai workers in the caravan next door spent many a wasted, passed-out night with this blasting on repeat – that’s me, hung over, banging on their door and yelling ‘Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!’)

5. Standing on the Moon – The Grateful Dead (for those times that I was feeling homesick and sorry for myself – few and far between, to be sure)

6. Girl from Ipanema – Gilberto/Jobim (soundtrack to our travels; did you know that this is recorded in Arabic, Turkish, Hebrew…)

7. Ray of Light – Madonna (learned to love Madge as this song became my ray of light, penetrating horrible Israeli rock on the local radio station)

8. Can’t Take My Eyes Off of You – Lauryn Hill (goes well with tuborg)

9. RESPECT – Aretha Franklin (all the lovely ladies – and a couple gay korean guys – on the dancefloor, please)

10. Save Tonight – Eagle Eye Cherry (beautiful scandinavian girls and beautiful Israeli boys equally enjoyed this one-hit wonder)




Bumblebee just heard that Lukas won. She thinks Canadian boys rock.

7 Comments:

  • At 11:03 PM, Blogger metro mama said…

    I bet you have many wonderful memories from those days. Would love to hear more.

    Who the hell is Lukas?

     
  • At 7:59 PM, Blogger Blog said…

    Awww... pretty girl. I wanted Dilana to win. But she won anyway, getting a solo gig, etc. Barbie Girl--hee! Brings back summer memories....

     
  • At 8:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, what a cutie you have!

    And I LOVE Bittersweet Symphony. One of my fave, fave songs.

     
  • At 5:39 PM, Blogger Sandra said…

    I am loving that photo of Bumblebee. Yay for Canadian boys :)

    Sounds like you have some great memories of those days.

     
  • At 5:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    mmmm corn on pizza.
    For the record, the memories are few & far between due to the 5 shekel vodka.
    Remember with me if you will, Scottish John? The pogues, "been drunk since i left...."

     
  • At 8:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi,

    I liked that Eagle Eye Cherry song too when it came out, so much so that I bought the album- which totally sucked. It was the most disappointed I had ever been in an album.

    I'm with the first commenter on the Lukas thing, but I suspect it is a reference to a TV show?

     
  • At 9:43 AM, Blogger karengreeners said…

    MM & Krista - lukas is the toronto boy that won rockstar: supernova.

    what? what?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape