penelope and bumblebee

Good grammar costs nothing.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Read it and Meme

Whoo hoo! Thanks to some less than subtle hints, metro mama just gave me my first tag! I’m it! Hazaa.
This was so much fun. Tag me whenever, peeps; I’ll do y’all proud.
And now, a meme from me.

1. One book that changed your life:
As a young person: Forever – Judy Blume (you can DO that?! Well, um yeah, but not for like, another 8 or 10 years)
As an adult: Life of Pi - Yan Martel

2. One book that you've read more than once:
Besides ‘Open the Barn Door, ‘Goodnight Moon’, Touch and Feel Pets (we like to touch with our toes) and Go, Dog, Go? Why, Fall On Your Knees of course. Best. Book. Ever.

3. One book you would want on a desert island:
The New Olympia Reader – any edition.
Whatev – we’re talking lots of alone time, people. This way you get two desert island pasttimes for the price of one…

4. One book that made you laugh:
Eats, Shoots & Leaves – Lynne Truss. Out loud, over ‘n over, with a ‘hell ya!’ thrown in every now and then for good measure. But I’m a bit of a loser.

5. One book that made you cry:
Cry? How about sob, shoulders hitching, 10 minutes after I had put the book away, as I sat on an airplane and tried to regain my composure?
That would be Mercy Among the Children, David Adams Richards.

6. One book that you wish had been written:
A seriously juicy, mysterious, creepy, absolutely perfect blend of Margaret Atwood short-story intrigue, lizzie borden bio macabre and ann-marie macdonald character-intricacy. People should die or disappear, hearts should be broken and there should be at least one ‘oooh, I didn’t see that coming!’ moment.

7. One book that you wish had never been written:
When the Wind Blows – Raymond Briggs
My whole class had to read this graphic novel in grade 5. My teacher was a right bastard, because it was written FOR ADULTS as a black comedy about the after-effects of nuclear war, but to my 10-year old mind, it simply mocked the fear and confusion of what, to me, in 1985, was a real, viable, unimaginably terrifying possibility. The main characters melt in the end, described and sketched in horrifying detail.
A few months later, this same class, waiting for iminent nuclear war, watched as the space shuttle challenger blew up in front of our eyes. I (and quite a few other kids in the class) began suffering from panic attacks and separation anxiety as we literally waited for our world to end.

8. The book that you are currently reading:
The Devil Wears Prada – Laura Weisberger.
I’m on page 36; I’ll let you know.

9. One book that you have been meaning to read:
Before I Wake – Robert J. Wiersema, thanks to the heads up from Scarbie


umm, i'm supposed to tag 2 people now, right? i don't have that many friends in the blogsphere, but i know lisalou at Here's Hoping and Mother Bumper will have lots of good things to say.

8 Comments:

  • At 12:25 AM, Blogger metro mama said…

    Loved Eats, Shoots & Leaves (except I think there should be a comma after Shoots).

    Ooh, number six sounds awesome.

    Let us know about The Devil Wears Prada!

     
  • At 9:33 AM, Blogger motherbumper said…

    SWEET!!!!! I love me some memes! I will work on this today and tomorrow along with another meme I've got going (Bumper only give me a few minutes to type so I try to do my thinkin' during lap naps). Thanks P :) I was hopin' someone would tag me for this one!

     
  • At 9:45 AM, Blogger motherbumper said…

    oh yeah - and Forever (tee hee) when I was at Indigo last week, I saw the latest edition and I couldn't help but read the back and kind of hide it at the same time. That was such a *racy* book when I was a kid. We (me and three other girls) pooled our money one day and I was dared to go in a buy it (we were 12 maybe?) and being ballsy, I did. And I was the gate keeper - what a fun, giggly memory. Thanks :)

     
  • At 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I would totally read number 6. Love it!

     
  • At 4:37 PM, Blogger lisalou said…

    Call me and idiot but what do I do? Do I simply cut and paste and answer the questions about books? I am excited but I don't want to mess up the system!
    Do I need any special technology? Oh, and, I don't know how to do those linky things...

     
  • At 11:00 PM, Blogger Her Bad Mother said…

    DO let us know about Prada. I need some light reading (non-board book)

     
  • At 12:45 AM, Blogger Bea said…

    Another ES&L fan (and Metro Mama! another fan of the Oxford comma!).

     
  • At 12:36 AM, Blogger nancy said…

    Lynne Truss just wrote a kids book about commas; it looks very funny.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape